Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Cliff

Okay, first chance I get, I'm getting the hell out of my terrible ass job. I actually wrote this story twice because of my terrible working conditions. GRAR! But anyway, I'm not here to bitch about my job, I'm here to write my story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Won't you please grow up!?" Elsie yelled down at Sam, who had been complaining since they got to the cliff. "It's just a little rock-climbing."

Sam just looked up at her. "You're telling ME to grow up?! I'm not the one who has to put their lives at risk just to get some cheap thrills."

"Cheap? Who said anything about this trip being cheap? I spent thousands of dollars on this equipment, it's all top-of-the-line."

Sam rolled his eyes. "That's not what I meant and you know it."

Elsie tossed a pebble at Sam, hitting his helmet. "Well duh, It's not my fault that your sarcasm sense is diluted at best. My point is that this equipment is the best that money can buy. You've probably haven't been this safe since your days in your mother's womb."

"Yeah, thanks for that mental image."

"Happy to oblige."

"Now who's sarcasm radar is shot?"

"Still your's, love."

Two hours later the two of them reached the top of the cliff. Sam had to admit, the view was worth the climb. As he thought about it, he began to remove his backpack to set up camp so the two of them could rest up for the hike back down to Elsie's truck.

Elsie stopped him. "Don't take that pack off! Are you crazy?!"

"I was just going to help set up camp for dinner, I'm exhausted and hungry."

"Silly boy, don't you think that your pack is a little light to contain any food at all?"

"I just thought that I was carrying a tent or something, while you had all the food."

Putting on a face of mock shock, Elsie waltzed up to Sam and playfully pushed her index finger into his chest. "What? You thought lil' ol' me had the food? Not a chance, not when I have a big strong man like you to carry it for me."

"C'mon Elsie, quit playing around. You know as well as I do that you're just as, if not more, capable as I am when it comes to carrying stuff around. Now did you bring food with you or not?"

"Well, if you didn't bring any, and I didn't bring any then there's only one place the food could be." Elsie said as she stroled over to the edge of the cliff, and, to Sam's horror, pointed down to her truck at the base of the cliff.

"You're kidding right? We'll never make the climb back down without food. What were you thinking?!"

"I was thinking it was time for that surprise that I used to get you here in the first place. You know, you were close when you guessed that your bag contained a tent. They're both made of cloth."

Before Sam could respond, Elsie gave him a quick kiss on the forehead and then leapt of the edge of the cliff. Sam panicked and ran to the edge just in time to see her unfurl her parachute.

"Base-jumping, huh? I guess it would be a surprise were it anyone else. And she tells me to grow up." Sam paused for a second. "Well, I've got to get down somehow, and there's no chance I'm going to let her hog all the food."

With that he jumped off the edge after her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And before anyone says anything; I don't know anything about rock-climbing or base-jumping. So if I got anything wrong, it's not my fault.

Marr Vell

3 comments:

The whisper in your ear said...

Well marr I've said it once I'll say it again. Bravo! I love it. Sucks you had to write it twice.

Never climbing,
Jesse

Kalinka said...

Marr,
Sam is a dork. But we loved him. He seems like a sweetheart.

Oh yeah, and Elsie? She sounds like a good kid. Definitely someone I'd wanna be friends with.

(Split-personality) love,
Kalinka Blue/Black.

Fleur De'La Fay said...

good job marr you just forgot the sterio tipical "don't look down" I love rock climbing (indoors) and you didn't seem to miss anything. *looks evil* Kelly your going down!!!!!!!!! Sorry my friend had a birthday party acouple years ago at a rock climbing place. He copyed me! And I raced Kelly his step-dad. We picked the hardest wall (which was not so hard) and I made it up in 31.5 seconds and he did it in 28 seconds so we joke about beating each other all the time. I havent been climbing forever though but my soccer winde up is maby going to be at a climbing place!