Monday, January 22, 2007

Ombre and Iris

You know, about five years ago I created my own comic book universe with my own heroes and villains. Being only 17 at the time I thought that the ideas that I originally came up with were pretty unique and well thought out. As I grew older I kept the characters that I had created in my mind, constantly working and reworking out even the slightest detail on their origins and histories. To this day I'm not entirely satisfied with any of them. Even the one that I started with, "Ombre", had much of his origin scrapped to the point that his powers have little explanation on their source. But what I am satisfied with is his persona, what makes him the way that he is. It's to the point that it doesn't matter how he got his powers anymore. Besides, does anyone really care that Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider anymore?

Anyway, thanks to an Internet friend of Kalinka's, (and a little persuasion from Kalinka herself.) I've decided that it's high time I let some more people see into the eyes of two of my most treasured characters: Ombre and Iris. You may remember them from a previous post from, like, August or something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ombre

"They say that you’re the man without fear."

"No, that’s the Green Lantern - or Dare Devil - I forget which. Either way, that’s not me at all. They call me the man that fears nothing."

"You’ve lost me, aren’t those the same thing?"

"Not exactly, no."

"I’m not sure I follow."

"Yeah, most people don’t."

"Well, enlighten me. That’s what this interview is about. The public - I want to understand you better."

"Heh."

"What? What did I say?"

"‘Enlighten me.’ Funny that you should word it like that."

"Stop trying to change the subject."

"Fine, I’ll try and ‘enlighten’ you. I suppose the best way to start is with my name."

"‘Ombre’, French for ‘shadow’. You came up with the name because you morph into a shadow whenever you ‘disappear’, I already know that."

"Yes, and you’ve seen me use that ability how often?"

"Almost never, I know that you can but you never use it unless you absolutely have too. I always kind of wondered why that is."

"It’s because I’m afraid, afraid of nothing."

"I don’t get it, you say that you’re afraid, but then you contradict yourself by saying that your not afraid of anything."

"I didn’t say that, you just heard it. I said, ‘afraid of nothing’ not, ‘not afraid of anything.’"

"Now you’re just arguing semantics, they both mean the same thing."

"No they don’t. Listen just forget it, you don’t understand just like I knew that you wouldn’t."

"I’m sorry, I’m trying my best to understand your meaning, it’s jus–"

"Do you have ANY idea what it’s like for me every single time I use my powers? All you ever see is me melting into the floor or the wall, becoming a pool of black, like a shadow without anything attached. But for me it’s the purest of tortures. Total and complete isolation.

"It’s as if I’m transported to another world. Another world that’s devoid of anything at all. There is no matter, there is no air, there is no light, and sometimes I’m not sure I’m even physically there. All my senses simply shut down and there is nothing. No touch, no taste, no smell, no sound, no sight, nothing. Do you understand now? Nothing is a PRECISE and ACCURATE description of what I fear."

"..."

"I’m sorry. I over-reacted. It’s just...I’m not entirely comfortable talking about it."

"I think that’s enough for now, I think I’ll leave you to yourself for now."

"I think that would be best, goodbye."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll notice that Ombre is actually the origin of the curse that I gave myself in the Lucid Seed stories. There's more to his powers than just being able to morph into a shadow, but those aren't nearly as important to his persona so they aren't mentioned here.

Next is Iris, I wrote this one to tell her origin for two reasons; one is that I actually like her origin, and the other is that I haven't really gotten as much inside her head as I have Ombre.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Iris

Maria was born in another world that lies parallel to ours. This world was created by wizards and witches of past generations as a safe haven for magic users who were persecuted during the witch-hunts of the various eras on Earth.

Over many generations, the ruling class of this new world taught the idea that the old world was a cesspool of crime. It was with this mindset that Maria grew up. She was an optimistic young girl, she saw that her homeland would be seen as a utopia to the people of our world. She petitioned her father, who was a Governor, to build relations with our world to teach us to improve. Her father refused her offer, as the mis-created education of our world was used, in part, to cover up his own corruption. But Maria was determined, and despite countless warnings and threats of being disowned, she crossed over into our world, giving up her own name in the process, all to save us from a peril that never truly was.

What happened next no one could have anticipated. In her home world, her powers came as natural to her as walking, but here they were a terrible strain on her to even contain, more so to control once released. Her overflowing powers forced her to form barriers within her own psyche to protect everyone around her, weakening herself significantly. Doing so also created an instinctive need for her to release her powers, and with it a second personality which had seemingly complete control of her powers, but little regard for the well-being of others.

After regaining some control over her powers she set out to bring some measure of peace to our "chaotic" world. Much to her surprise, this world, though certainly not perfect, was nowhere near the cesspool she was taught that it was. She also found that protecting this world were various stable governments that saw to the safety and liberty of their people. She also saw that the world did have it share of criminals, but for the most part they were under control thanks to police and military forces.

Seeing that the world didn't need the savior she was expecting to become brought a sense of relief to Maria. Deciding to leave our world and return home, she went about retrieving the materials she needed to open a portal to her world.

Upon leaving a magic shop in search for the required spell components, Maria was drawn to a nearby flower shop because of a police car parked in front. At first she thought that maybe the officers could use some assistance. But when she arrived at the scene it became pretty clear that these policemen were, what she later learned were called, dirty cops. They were extorting the flower shop owner for "protection" money. Maria couldn't let these people get away with their crimes, and she knew this world's legal system well enough to know that these men could go on like this for months before justice could find them. So instead she decided to bring justice to them herself.

After using her magics to disarm the police officers she then used the vines in the shop to tie them from the ceiling until some honest officers could arrive and arrest. Wanting to repay Maria for her help, the flower shop owner offered her a flower as a gift. She said that the flower represented what she saw in Maria's eyes when she helped her. When Maria asked the woman what the flower was, she identified it as an Iris. Maria gladly accepted the Iris and elected to keep it with her and placed it in her hair, using her magically powers to keep the flower alive.

After that experience Maria realized that the system of our world was not infallible and rather than return home she vowed to protect the good people of the world from the persecution of corrupt peoples in stations of power, as well as help in the fight against common crime. The media quickly dubbed her "Iris" as most of the reports of her exploits had the defining trait of an Iris in her hair.

Maria accepted her new identity as Iris lovingly, having chosen not to return home until the corruption in our world is cleansed. Still blissfully unaware of the level of corruption in her home world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there you go, I've put much of my creative thought into these two for the past five years. I'm under no illusions that they are perfect yet, so I'm willing to accept any critique anyone on ye ol' internets has. But remember, they are both very dear to me, so please be kind.

Marr Vell

16 comments:

The whisper in your ear said...

I think you and matthew would get along wellllll. I told you about his comic book and everything. You guys are very similar thinking wise. I really love this marrvell. Ombre and Iris are great characyers. As you know, I loved august too.

"write" on,
Jesse

ps. Get it? Write it?

Fleur De'La Fay said...

Hi Marr wow thats funny that you where and are writing a comic book. Remember I've been so into Anime latly? Well I decided to write a Manga, I'm terrable at drawing so I write and my friend draws. Your charictures are great. I'm finding that good storyplots that haven't been done to death are becomeing scarce, yours howerver is amazing! The detail of the charictures so rich and thier lives so interseting.

I guess when you see true genuise you don't know what to say cause I can never think of some praise thats half decent and not corny.
Well done
bravo!

Kylaia

Kalinka said...

Well,

I've seen both of these before but sometimes seeing written comments can be helpful as they do not float away like spoken comments can.

Mostly though, I like how Ombre has a sense of humour about his situation - that's ultimately what makes him different from other broody guys. Pay attention to this. It is a strength.

Iris reminds me of someone I know. But perhaps as you get to know her more that will become less obvious.

~K.

Marr said...

Is it just me? Or does anyone else picture Ombre smoking a cigarette during his interview? It's weird, because Ombre always was kind of an alter-ego for myself, and I'm anti-smoking. Logic would follow that Ombre would be too. But it just seems to fit so well.

Marr Vell

Yasakura said...

Those are cool. =) make more. If you want to of course.




-Yas-

Ami Angelwings said...

Very cool :D

I liked both heroes and I found the descriptions fun and creative ^-^

I "got" the "afraid of nothing" thing before it was explained, so I think that was cool XD But I think that's also a neat thing to add to a hero.. it makes them more heroic too b/c it's scary to use their powers to save somebody but they do it neways :]

I give your heroes 5 out of 5 happy cats :D

Kalinka said...

Iris: Hey Ombre! What's up?

Ombre: Oh, nothing. Just thinking about smoking. What do you think?

Iris: Smoking is a dumb habit.

Ombre: But it would make me popular.

Iris: No. No it would not.

Ombre: Those cowboys said they would like it.

Iris: Ombre, those cowboys work for the cigarette company! Don't be a stupid.

Ombre: A stupid what?

Iris: You know...a...stupid....

Ombre: No, I don't Iris. No I don't.

Iris: Augh. You are impossible. Fine! Smoke it up! Smoke all you want and then die!

Ombre: Maybe I will....maybe I will.

Iris: I don't think you will.

Ombre: Wanna bet?

Iris: You'll take a drag of that cigarette and cough and then turn purple and I will laugh.

Ombre: My eyes are purple.

Iris: Then you'll match. And for your information, I KNEW THAT!

Ombre: Oh?

Iris: ....

Ombre: ....

Iris: Don't you have some lung cancer to get or something?

Ombre: Umm...

Iris: If you need me, I'll be outside in THE FRESH AIR. Feel free to join me if you want, Smokey Joe.

-----

There you have it. Ombre doesn't get a cigarette and there's why.

~K.

Marr said...

Thank you, Ami. I'm glad to see the opinion of someone who knows more about comics than I do. Even moreso that you liked them.

And I know, what Ombre actually meant when he said "afraid of nothing" was pretty clear, I just wanted an excuse to explain why he was afraid. Also, it wasn't mentioned before, but his powers are so frightening to him that his hair is permanently and prematurely white. I figured that I should mention that.

Marr Vell

Anonymous said...

cool marr! You know when I first read the story I was reading too fast and mistook Iris for Isis.

Anonymous said...

Marr,
I sorta lost my blog. I made a mistake when transferring the file and now I can't access it! So could you tell everyone the reason I'm not commenting is because everyone has the comments turned to no anonymous comments and I can't even use my user name so I can't say anything.

Anonymous said...

Hey marr its me again, Kylaia anyway I'm thinking I'm just going to start a new blog because my old one died so yeah, that could happen soon... or not because I'm sorta busey. Anyway I've writen some new stuff and really want to get it up so it probably will happen soom. Oh I wanted to tell you I started my own Manga! Well my friends drawing the pictures but I'm writing it and it even better than my Pearl story which I'm hopfuling submiting to a writing workshop! I'll tell you if anything happens,
Kylaia

Fleur De'La Fay said...

Hello Marr,
I made a new blog because the blogger suport was unhelpful in geting back to me so umm yeah.

Fleur De'La Fay said...

Marr!
oh nos! I was wanting to pull somemore stuff from my blog when I relised something! It wont give me the adress I want I went waaaaaay back but all I get is my new one! And since you are like the onlyine who actualy checks thier blog you are the only person I can ask to see if they can reach my old blog!

Kalinka said...

Hey, who are you? Are you you? If you are you you should go.

Make new post.

Write MORE

@#i13f2332Y23o33U233Cccaaan%%%

K%*@L@*#Kaa

Fleur De'La Fay said...

Yes I thoroughly agree with Kal marr please post more You have caught so many cactus's only mount Olympus knows what you do with them all... or where you keep them?
Ohhhh do you send them to the citizens of Nevada? I bet they like cactus.... can you eat cactus? I think yous can but I not being sure.

Fleur De'La Fay said...

! @^^ -l-R!3!^/9 5l*33k @^/D 5l*33L but aw screw this I give up! I'm not creative enough to do it...