Friday, August 04, 2006

Night at the Bar

Okay, the inspiration bug has finally bitten good ol' Marr Vell. It's about time, I needed to write something or my head would've exploded. Thank God I walk to work, on my own, for an hour, with nothing but my thoughts to entertain me. Anyway, I'd like to thank the lot of you for inspiring me to write something. So here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"C'mon Marr! Hurry up!" Kalinka called from a ways ahead of me. Her boundless energy always kept her in the lead. "I know you can move faster than that, even despite your sword and armour!" Awhile back I had rescued her from a pack of goblins, she has been following me around ever since. I've given up trying to ditch her. "C'mon I'm curious, I want to try it for myself!"

"There's no need to rush, Kalinka, the inn will still be there if we take our time." I tell her, "I still don't know why you want to try ale for yourself, I told you all there is about it, and it's not a pleasant beverage."

"I know, I know, but still I want to experience everything this world has to offer, good and bad, and I want to form my own opinions." In the short time I've known her, I've quickly learned that I can't argue with her.

"Very well, but I'm only paying for one." I said as we entred the inn. "After that, if you still want more, you'll have buy your own." We walk up to the bar, I order an ale for her and a stout for myself. I lean my sword against the bar, and begin staring at my drink.

Ten minutes later I was still staring at the same full mug of stout. Why did I even order this? I thought. Did I just order it to keep Kalinka company, of sorts. Why would I do that? I hate this stuff. Oh well, I paid for it, bottoms up. I pulled down my scarf and then drank down the bitter-tasting sludge and silently vow to never drink another stout for as long as I live. Then I look over to Kalinka to see how she likes her ale.

What I find is Kalinka retreating towards me on her stool, with a drunken man leaning in towards her spouting come-ons and slurs best not repeated.

I get from my stool to confront the man, "I suggest that you leave my companion alone. Now."

The drunkard drew his sword clumsy and sputtered, "Wutchar you gonna do 'boutit?" And attempted to look menacing.

I took hold of my sword and began pulling the straps off it's leather wrapping, but then hesitated. I noted how sloppy his fighting stance was, even for a drunk.

The man made a wide over-head slash at me. I caught his arm easily with one hand. "I don't give out a second warning, leave now."

In response the man spat at me. Some people say that you can't blame a drunkard for his or her actions. I break his arm in three places. I've never subscribed to that way of thinking. I tip the barkeep handsomely on the condition that he never serve that man again.

I start redoing the leather straps and I ask Kalinka, "What did you think of your ale?" Partially out of genuine curiousity, but mostly to break the mood.

It worked, it brought her out of her state of shock. "Oh, it was bitter and unpleasant, just like you said. And clearly drinking too much makes one an uncouth beast. I don't think I'll be drinking anymore for a long time." With that she started to get ready to leave.

Just then a new patron entred the inn. He had the air of a warrior about him, strong and proud. And the sword he held with him was very well made and likely enchanted. He scanned the room a few times before resting his gaze upon us. I knew not at the time what it was that he wanted but i felt no hostility from him. After a few seconds of staring towards us, the warrior began, though a little like he was being guided, to make his way in our direction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it. Kalinka, I hope you don't mind how I invisioned you in this story. And Joneus, I hope you don't mind my story intersecting with yours.

Anyway, until I write again. See you around.

Marr Vell

3 comments:

Marr said...

And yes, I would wrap my sword in leather were it as large as I invisioned. Not only because I think it would look cool and dramatic to pull the wrapping off at the start of a fight. But also it seems the most logical thing to keep my sword in when I'm not using it, as it would be unweildly to sheath such a blade.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Marr Vell

The whisper in your ear said...

Wow good job Marr. I'm impressed with all of your storys. I wish I could write like you all do. Great storys keep adding more chapters and i might have to start my own!!

The deamon in you all,
Jesse

Kalinka said...

Marr,

This is the way I had only hoped to be envisioned. Good work!

-Kalinka.